Much like last year, thus far in 2011, the Korean music industry has been dominated by idols. With top idol groups promoting overseas as part of the Hallyu wave, their influence has spread beyond Asia into Europe andSouth Americaas well.
With that said, the album and digital sales of boy groups and girl groups for this year were compared.
â€“> Idol groupsâ€™ impact on the music industry
According to the results ofÂ Gaon ChartÂ this year (from January 2nd to October 1st), idols have placed 51 songs out of the top 100 songs on the digital chart.
The idols that make up the top ranks include Hallyuâ€™s top idol groups:Â T-ara,Â 2NE1,Â Big Bang,Â f(x),CNBLUE,Â B2ST,Â miss A,Â SECRET,Â SISTAR, etc.
When the album chart was reviewed, it was clear that idols had a stronger influence on album sales than in digital sales. For the album charts from the same period, idol groups had 69 albums out of the top 100, and the entire top 10 (from 1st to 10th) were all albums belonging to idol groups.
â€“> Girl groups dominate online sales (mp3), while boy groups dominate offline sales (CD)
Girl groups clearly dominated the digital charts. Out of the 51 idol group songs in the top 100, 31 (61%) of those were by girl groups.
In contrast, boy groups had a strong hold over the offline or physical album sales this year. The top 10 album sales for this year (with the exception ofÂ KARAÂ at 8th place) were all from boy groups.Â Super Junior,Â TVXQ,Â andÂ JYJÂ comprised of the the top 3 album sales this year.
Choi Kang Ho, director of the Music Contents Industry Association (which runs Gaon Chart) stated,â€œFor offline or album sales, the majority of the consumers are made up of loyal fans of idol groups rather than regular music fansâ€¦ Boy groups, who have more intimate fans compared to girl groups, have been showing high album sales.â€
â€“> Girl groups to dominate the rest of the year
Girl groups are expected to continue their streak for the remainder of this year. With groups such asSNSD,Â Wonder Girls, T-ara,Â andÂ SECRETÂ having already made or planning to make their respective comebacks by November of this year, the fansâ€™ anticipation has been growing.
In addition, the popular boy groups will all be targeting the overseas market, leaving the Korean market wide open for the girl groups to dominate.
Although there is much support for idols and their music, there has also been growing concern over the imbalance of the current music industry. One album producer stated,Â â€œWith producers all jumping on the bandwagon of producing for idol groups, the idol market has become saturatedâ€¦ To solve the imbalance of the Korean music industry and the continuous progress of Hallyu, investments must be made in other genres.â€
<Idols vs Non-idols Digital Market Share>
(Survey period: 1/2/2011 ~ 10/1/20112011, Digital Chart Top 100)
Idols: 56% (11,079,642,386 Gaon points)
Non-idols: 44% (8,750,954,178 Gaon points)
?Gaon points: streaming + MP3 download + BGM sales + mobile sales
<Idols vs Non-idols Album Market Share>
(Survey period: 1/2/2011 ~ 10/1/20112011, Album Chart Top 100)
Idols: 81% (3,063,899 copies sold)
Non-idols: 19% (707,498 copies sold)
<2011 Digital Sales Ranking>(1/2/2011 ~ 10/1/2011)
1. â€œI Cheatedâ€(Feat. ??) â€“ Infinity Challenge GG (G-Dragon & Park Myung Soo)
2. â€œPleaseâ€ â€“ Kyung Yeon Â 2. â€œSinging Each Othersâ€™ Songsâ€ â€“ Kim Bum Soo
3. â€œRoly Polyâ€ â€“ T-ara
4. â€œDonâ€™t Cry Donâ€™t Cryâ€ â€“ Park Bom
5. â€œPinocchio (Danger)â€ â€“ f(x)
6. â€œLonelyâ€ â€“ Â 2NE1
7. â€œTonightâ€ â€“ Big Bang
8. â€œThe Story Only I Didnâ€™t Knowâ€ â€“ IU
9. â€œI am The Bestâ€ â€“ 2NE1
10. â€œIntuitionâ€ â€“ CNBLUE
11. â€œRainy Daysâ€ â€“ B2ST
12. â€œMy Heart is Beatingâ€ â€“ K.Will
13. â€œMa Boyâ€ SISTAR
14. â€œStarlight Moonlightâ€ â€“ SECRET
15. â€œGood Bye Babyâ€ â€“ miss A
<2011 Album Sales Ranking>(1/2/2011 ~ 10/1/2011)
1. â€˜Mr. Simpleâ€™ â€“ Super Junior
2. â€˜Keep Your Head Downâ€™ â€“ TVXQ
3. â€˜In Heavenâ€™ â€“ JYJ
4. â€˜Big Bang 4th Mini Albumâ€™ â€“ Big Bang
5. â€˜Fiction And Factâ€™ â€“ B2ST
6. â€˜Break Down (EP)â€™ â€“ Kim Hyun Joong
7. â€˜First Stepâ€™ â€“ CNBLUE
8. â€˜STEPâ€™ â€“ KARA
9. â€˜Mr. Simple The 5th Album Repackage (A-Cha)â€™ â€“ Super Junior
10. â€˜Hands Upâ€™ â€“ 2PM
11. â€˜Big Bang Special Editionâ€™ â€“ Big Bang
12. â€™2NE1 2nd Mini Albumâ€™ â€“ 2NE1
13. â€˜InfinityChallenge West Coast Highwayâ€™ â€“ Various Artists
14. â€˜Take A Deeper Look (EP)â€™ â€“ Jay Park
15. â€˜Pinocchioâ€™ â€“ f(x)