HB Entertainment responds to the plagiarism accusations of their drama “Yong Pal” which stars Kim Tae Hee and Joo Won. It has been said that the drama was similar to a webtoon “City Conquest 7”.
The agency then responds to the allegations, explaining:
- The accusation that “Yong Pal” plagiarized “City Conquest 7” ignores the whole picture and takes small parts on similarities of the stories to hurt our reputation.
- “Yong Pal” is an original work by writer Jang Hyuk Rin. This has been known even before we have announced the main actors Joo Won and Kim Tae Hee, and it is not true that it is based on the webtoon.
- Baek Mir in “City of Conquest 7” becomes haunted after having killed a 10-year old while he was still an intern and has been seeing images of this child. He then moves to Japan and becomes a member of a Japanese mafia and practices medicine illegally. The main point of the character Baek Mir is having extra-sensory perception (ESP). Then, the story continues with Baek Mir meeting other characters who also have superpowers. This is greatly different from “Yong Pal,” in which, the main character is a visiting doctor.
- Seo Dan Bi of “City Conquest 7” has a coma and is preserved in a glass tube. However, this is because she has super powers. While, Han Yeo Jin of “Yong Pal”, she is in coma because of her brother, which is essentially different from the story of “City Conquest 7.”
- It is a death sentence to a creative piece of work to only look at the parts, and then claim that it is plagiarism when the whole picture is clearly different.
What are your thoughts on this plagiarism issue?